Tuesday, May 08, 2018

From Rose - Aug 20, 1918

Aug 20, 1918
        "     21,        
                To my dear brother,

        How are you by this time?  I do hope you keep well.  And how are you getting along?  It seems so long since you wrote to me but such is life. This is the second letter I have wrote to you but I suppose you haven't received the other one yet. Well I suppose they are going to make more enlist all now between 18-45 so that will catch lots more of our boys and husbands.
       Well Johnny, I went to the farmer's picnic in the afternoon.  Was a very large crowd not many young men. Two soldier boys - one was a Umstead from Marengo.  The Centerburg band played they played that piece called "Over There".  I suppose you have heard that.  Umstead sang it while hey played it.  It was certainly beautiful. Saw so may people I knew.  I was talking to Minnie Hulse says she heard from Clyde right along.  He got 9 letters from home all at once.  I'll bet he was busy for awhile don't you?
       Abbott Bird died real sudden yesterday the 19th - either heart trouble or acute indigestion.  Rob and Sylvia sat up there with the dead last night.  Rob owns a Ford now - last yr model.  I don't know what he paid for it.  We are well as common. Floyd is so tanned you wouldn't know him.  Mary has hives so bad, alright other ways.  Coreta is visiting over at Mt. Liberty.  Went last Saturday eve.  Ennice is helping Jay Bell. Willie has been hauling manure.
       Our folks are well as common.They walked down to Anna Reed's yesterday.  Walked over here last Saturday.  Mr. VanSickle isn't very well - complains quite a bit.  Ober Bishop is papa again - another boy.  Named him Alonzo.  How is that for Obers?  Uncle Henry and Clarence went down to see Ray said he was looking good.  He said they was lucky to find him.  Way they talked he was going to leave there.  We are having quite a rain just now.  First for a long time.  It looks good.  Well if I could talk to you I could say lots more.  Well good-bye
                                                                                       From your sister, Rose

Johnny, it is always on my mnd.  God will take care of you.  Write when you can.

No comments:

Centerburg, Ohio- Feb. 22, 1919.

 Centerburg, Ohio Feb. 22, 1919 Dear Uncle,       I received your letter today.  Mr. Van Sickle gave it to me this morning.  Grandma gave it...