Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Somewhere in the heart of Bloomfield.....Coreta Geiger

Centerburg, Ohio.
Sept. 21, 1918
Dear Uncle,
              We received your letter today and was sure glad to hear from you.  Well I am fifteen now.  I expect you will bring a French girl home with you.  School is going on just fine.  I like the professor Mason just fine. Mr. Langstaff the Grammar room teacher is our English teacher.  He chews chewing gum all the time. Then sticks it along the side of the desk.  The Grammar room girls told Mick Harrod.  He said if there were anymore on the desk, he would tell Mason.
               We have a basketball game.  Mr. Langstaff has had his nose broke twice and one or two fingers broke.  Well this is Monday evening.  My fountain pen is run out of ink and my ink is at school.  I've got a letter from Zulauf, he is in France.  He says the French have brown bread and lots of good stuff to eat.  We kids ride in a large wagon which has a row of seats on each side, two little windows in front and two behind and also a door.
               I stayed at grandma's last night.  Ruth and Jeanette were over here yesterday.  Well Saturday I took the pony and the buggy that we use and got Ruth and Jeannette and Jeanette stayed with Mary while Ruth and I went to Centerburg. When we got back, Jeannette wanted to stay all night so she went and called up her mother and she said she could so we went up to Hall's Saturday night. We played reaching for a song book. They blindfolded my eyes and tied my wrists together and told me to reach high for the song boo, then Orie slipped under my arms and someone pulled my arms down and I had my arms around his neck when they took the rag off my eyes.
               So Sunday Ruth came down and we went to Sunday School. In the after noon we went over to  the chestnut trees but there was not enough frost Saturday night to do any good. Then Eunice went up after Orie and the Ouija board. We asked it lot of questions and it sure did spell them out to answer them.  Asked it how old I was and it went to fifteen.
                Harold Hancook was on a furlow and they had a large dinner which he didn't know about. They were  his relatives. Then at night they had a party for him which the girls were to invite their partners.  I wasn't invited because I guess I had gone on the wagon for she or Florence saw me but I couldn't went anyhow.  Ruth couldn't go either.
               Conard Birch is on an eighteen day furlow.  Alice Boyd has the mumps. Taylors are moving to Mt. Vernon. Wallie Sears is sick and the Doctor Huggins don't know what it is.  He said it was or he thought it was Typhoid fever or Spinal something and also another large name.  But he sent some of his blood to be analyzed.  Mrs. Knoff has the Typhoid fever.  I may go to the Morrow County Fair Thursday or Friday but I don't know for sure, I haven't anything of your "dear little Edith" for a long time. We heard that Mr. Warner is across. Sent me some French words.
                Well I guess I will have to close so as to clean my white shoes tonight for school tomorrow.  It is early 7:30 now.  Well John McCormick has moved on the Joe Easterday place.  I guess school is going on so far pretty well.  Write soon as you can.  We sure are glad to hear from you.  I guess I can't think of any more. Will close.
                                                                                  Good bye                         S.W.A.K.
                                                                                       Coreta Geiger
xxxx many more but can't express on paper

Well I am fifteen going on sweet sixteen but never been kissed.  Ha! Ha!

This is some gum I am sending you. Write and tell me if you got it.

No comments:

Centerburg, Ohio- Feb. 22, 1919.

 Centerburg, Ohio Feb. 22, 1919 Dear Uncle,       I received your letter today.  Mr. Van Sickle gave it to me this morning.  Grandma gave it...